Why the keto diet is so effective when it comes to weight loss
Keto diet 101
Maybe a friend convinced you to join keto, but you’re not quite sure what you’ve gotten yourself into, or you’re simply tired of constantly seeing the keto diet being mentioned everywhere without really knowing what it’s all about. In both cases, you’re probably here because you want to learn more. Let’s break it down together.
Simply put, keto is a low-carb, high-fat diet. If you decide to follow this diet, chances are, you’ll have to do a whole 180 of your eating regime since the main energy source for most people is carbs, followed by proteins, with fat in the last place. With keto, however, you need to switch these macronutrients around and start eating more fats, such as meat, fish, eggs, nuts, and healthy oils, and drastically decrease the intake of carbohydrates.
There are various versions of the keto diet, but just to give you an idea of what we are talking about, here are some basic numbers. With a standard ketogenic diet (which has been studied extensively), you’re supposed to consume 70% of fat, 20% of protein, and only 10% of carbohydrates. ** Now you know we weren’t joking when we said you’ll have to do a complete turnaround of your diet.
However, we can support you on this journey with our amazing new product to help you stick to your resolution and adapt to the new diet: Intermittent Fasting & Keto Support.
OK, so what happens when I start with keto?
As we’ve said, for most people, carbohydrates (starches and sugars) represent the main source of energy. Our bodies then break them down into glucose and use it as fuel. When you start eating according to keto principles, your body can no longer rely on glucose as its main fuel source, so it turns to an alternative energy source – fat.
By breaking down fat (the one already stored in your body and the one you get with food), the body produces small molecules called ketones that become the body and brain’s main source of energy. We call this metabolic state ketosis.
People choose to go on the keto diet mainly because of weight loss. According to some studies, the keto diet may be more effective for weight loss than a low-fat diet. ** So, if the swimsuit season is approaching or you need to drop some kilos for an upcoming event, keto may be just what you need to reach your goal.
Even though you’ll probably struggle with cravings during the first few days, in the long run, a high-fat diet makes you feel fuller sooner, meaning you eat less than you normally would.
The keto diet is also the perfect choice for those who hate counting calories. Make sure you eliminate certain food groups from your menu, and you’re set. However, you need to pay attention to the total grams of carbs consumed in a day.
The main food groups you should eliminate from the menu:
- sugary foods: juices, smoothies, cake, cookies, ice cream, chocolate, etc.
- starchy foods and grains: wheat-based products, rice, pasta, quinoa, millet, etc.
- starchy vegetables: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, peas, beets, etc.
- beans and legumes: chickpeas, beans, peas, lentils, etc.
- fruit: berries and a few other fruits are the exceptions
- condiments: barbecue sauce, ketchup, etc.
- unhealthy fats: processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- sugar-free & low-fat diet foods: sugar-free candies, syrups, puddings, low-fat yoghurts, condiments, mayonnaise etc.
Anything else I should know?
While the ketogenic diet is considered healthy and may help you shred those extra kilos, adjusting to a new eating regime can be hard. Especially in those first days, when your body is getting used to a smaller intake of carbs, there is a chance you’ll experience hunger and crave all the delicacies you should avoid.
In order to overcome these struggles, you might want to consider reaching for a dietary supplement made especially with the keto diet in mind. Our recommendation would be Intermittent Fasting & Keto Support –SlimJOY’s amazing new product that will help you ease the transition into keto dieting and let you focus on more important things.
This supplement’s powerful formula is based on natural active ingredients and contains Garcinia cambogia and glucomannan, two of nature’s weight loss superheroes. Intermittent Fasting & Keto Support helps reduce appetite by making you feel satiated for longer. It is the perfect solution to overcome the initial keto struggles – it will make it much easier to stick to your plan and aid you with weight loss in the long run.
- Shilpa, Joshi, and Viswanathan Mohan. “Ketogenic Diets: Boon or Bane?” The Indian Journal of Medical Research, U.S. National Library of Medicine, Sept. 2018, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6251269/.
- Brehm, Bonnie J., et al. “A Randomized Trial Comparing a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet and a Calorie-Restricted Low Fat Diet on Body Weight and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Healthy Women.” Academic.oup.com, April 2003, https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/88/4/1617/2845298?login=false.
- Elite Medical Centet. What is keto? What is Keto? - Elite Medical Center (elitelv.com)
Products for you
You may be interested